AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at . on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
AbbVie Analytical Research & Development (Analytical R&D) is a global analytical sciences organization responsible for all CMC analytical activities related to the development of AbbVie’s pharmaceutical products. Our scope includes AbbVie’s diverse pipeline of innovative small molecule and therapeutic biologic medicines and spans from the selection of Discovery candidate molecules through the transition of analytical methods and testing to commercial labs to support product launch.
We are building a world-class team of scientists and leaders who will drive the advancement of industry-leading analytical capabilities and make meaningful contributions to advance AbbVie’s pipeline of innovative medicines.
Careers in AbbVie Analytical R&D provide unique opportunities to work with global and cross-functional teams to drive exceptional science and innovative product development strategies. We are looking for diverse candidates with strong scientific and leadership experience to join the AbbVie Analytical R&D team and can offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities.
We believe the data collected in Analytical R&D are the basis for scientific decisions that ensure the quality and safety of our products. Generating insights from analytical data should be easy, fun and inspiring further investigations – we are leading the way to first-class data sciences.
Analytical R&D in AbbVie is building its Global Analytical Data Sciences group – we are seeking a qualified Analytical Data Scientist as the US representative of that group, located at our facility in North Chicago, IL.
- Development and implementation of globally applicable concepts for analytical data sciences
- Development and implementation of standardized data visualization and evaluation tools for project teams and technical centers
- Keeping yourself up to date on data science, inform and advise analytical scientists and management by turning data into insight, propose solutions and translate into executable approaches that are tailored to partner functions.
- Working with analytical project teams and IT colleagues to identify opportunities and provide solutions for automated data collection, visualization and analysis
- Data engineering: making data available from different sources; Data Analysis: data preparation, data evaluation and data visualization; Chemometrics: modeling and prediction
- Develop machine learning models for mining large set of analytical data
- Link between all units of analytical R&D and IT as well as non-clinical statistics
- Implementation of the strategy on a technical level, as well as the active adaptation to continuously changing requirements
- PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering and broad hands-on experience with modern Pharmaceutical Analytical Techniques
- Knowledge in Analytical Data Sciences
- Databases (SQL and NoSQL)
- Data preparation and visualization (especially R, R Shiny, Spotfire, Python)
- Data evaluation (Design of Experiments (DoE), multivariate analysis, especially PLS, PCA, PCR, classifications, neural networks)
- Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning)
- Proven effective written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact effectively with interdisciplinary scientists and management.
- High attention to detail, creativity in problem solving, strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to successfully work independently and in teams with different background in data science
- Ability to explain complex issues simply and in line with the specialist background of the communication partner
- Structured and self-organized work with reproducible documentation
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally to enable higher performance
- Strategic thinker, able to identify and willing to learn new promising data science tools and techniques
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Strong presenter, adapting the presentation to the audience and to the situation
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.