8901 – Corp Office West Crk – 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
About this job
The primary responsibility for the pricing and inventory systems team is to accurately value the unique characteristics of each individual car that we buy or sell, and also allocate those vehicles across our 200+ stores. Last year alone, CarMax sold more than 1 million vehicles, appraised over 2 million vehicles, and had $150m in weekly auto auction spend – all while dealing with constantly changing consumer demand, wholesale auction supply, and other market conditions that are often regionally differentiated.
In order to realize the full value of our models, our systems experts must accurately and instantaneously deliver thousands of recommendations to our field associates daily. This requires the combination of a deep understanding of the models, the technical skill to deploy new models as robust and stable systems, and the results focus and analytical ability to quickly diagnose and fix problems as they arise.
What you will do – Essential Responsibilities
1. Collaborate with mathematical modeling experts to rapidly deploy newly developed models
2. Leverage strong computer science and software engineering skills in order to build software that: a) calculates the optimal value for each vehicle and b) delivers that value to store associates in seconds
3. Develop and execute a management system that ensures the right value is put on every vehicle every day
- Ensure that new code deployments are stable and align with intent through unit testing
- Build automated monitoring and alert systems to ensure that production models are delivering intended values
- Quickly respond to and resolve pricing system issues regardless of time of day/week
4. Partner with CarMax Technology to continually evolve system infrastructure to support our business and data science needs Communicate how our systems work within and outside of the team, both at a general level and a detailed level
Qualifications and Requirements
1. Ability to consistently deliver at a high level on the responsibilities listed above
2. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and skills required:
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or a related field
- Double major or minor in in math or related field is a plus
- Mathematical, modeling, and reasoning skills in order to understand complex pricing models and deploy them accurately
- Computer programming skills in order to integrate new models into our existing framework
- Desire to learn our existing technology suite (Azure, Python, AKS, Teradata, etc.) and to explore new technologies to enhance our data science capabilities
- Strong communication and teamwork skills to collaborate with modeling experts and with CarMax Technology to deploy new models and to resolve system issues
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant’s request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.