We look forward to your application! When applying, please be sure to put your Full Legal First Name and Last Name for legal and processing purposes.
Are you looking for an opportunity to turn your ambition and your people skills into a rewarding career with an industry leader? Join our team at American Tire Distributors! As the nation’s premier tire distributor, ATD’s coast-to-coast distribution network provides approximately 80,000 customers across the U.S. and Canada with rapid and frequent delivery of high quality tires, custom wheels and shop supplies.
American Tire Distributor’s (ATD) Advanced Analytics Center of Excellence is looking for a Data Scientist Intern. As a Data Scientist Intern, you will need to have solid programming skills and a strong understanding of data science and relevant machine learning algorithms and packages. You will use your knowledge and experience in Data Science methodologies to solve challenging real-world problems as part of a highly dynamic team. You will work in a collaborative environment where you will regularly communicate between senior data scientists, software engineers, and business stakeholders. You will be working on high impact initiatives with other DS in Machine Intelligence to drive growth and economic profitability for ATD and its customers by accelerating current and new offerings. You will work on one or many products teams at any given time. Strong communication skills, analytic acumen, and an ability to work as part of an Agile team are important traits to have.
- Extract, clean and prepare data for data science model integration
- Write flexible production-ready code (in Python or R) for different components of the data science process – data ingestion, data manipulation, feature selection and engineering, model training, model validation and model development
- Test hypotheses, explore and extract useful insights from large data sets
- Build innovative models, tools and applications that apply machine learning and deep learning algorithms at scale
- Understanding of machine learning (e.g. linear/logistics regression, discriminant analysis, bagging, random forest, Bayesian model, SVM, neutral networks, etc
- Knowledge and skills in the use of current state of the art machine learning frameworks such as Scikit-Learn, Keras, TensorFlow and Spark, etc ..
- Fluency Python/R and SQL
- Strong familiarity with Linux
- Basic understanding of research design and hypothesis testing
- Desire to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong communication skill sand team-oriented attitude
- Advanced degree in Computer science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Economics or a related field
- 1-5 years experience in data science and machine learning model development on a wide variety of domains
Physical Demands/Work Environment/Travel Requirements:
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk, hear, taste and/or smell; the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 150 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Travel required: Dependent on Internship Area. Travel to the Field Support Center will be required, along with periodic assignment to distribution centers.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations. Nothing in this job description creates a contract of employment in any way for any person. All employees hired by American Tire Distributors, Inc. are employees at will and the company reserves the right to terminate employees at any time for any reason or no reason at all .
Build a challenging and rewarding career with us!
American Tire Distributors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace
Job ID: R12268