Company Type: Privately Held Size: 201-500 employees
Argo AI was founded to tackle one of the most challenging applications in computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence with self-driving vehicles. Argo AI is developing and deploying the latest advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to help build safe and efficient self-driving vehicles that enable these transformations and more. The challenges are significant, but we are a team that believes in tackling hard, meaningful problems to improve the world.
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all.
We are looking for the right individual to lead our efforts in systems engineering, systems integration, and systems testing. This far-reaching role leads the team responsible for ensuring that we have a clear, written understanding of what the self-driving system needs to do, what could go wrong while doing it, and what must be done to maintain control even if things do go wrong. The team develops the safety case to enable our systems to operate on public roadways, as well as ensuring we have the mountain of evidence to support that case. Finally, the team needs to lay out how to progress from components to a fully integrated system, develop the test framework to rigorously verify subsystems and full system behavior to meet expectations, and execute the test plans to eventually demonstrate success.
To succeed in this role, this individual must set and adjust direction for a large team, while closely coordinating with senior leadership in software and hardware teams as well as the executive leadership team. Ability to collaborate is vital, including ability to guide teams to make decisions rapidly, and to recover from mistakes. The successful candidate will have experience developing and adapting processes that support iterative engineering development across both hardware and agile software development, a blend that stresses traditional engineering processes. The leader must be able to participate not only in personnel management and process work, but also in the technical workings of the team to bring out technical innovation across the organization.
The successful candidate will be able to step back and see the big picture of fleets of autonomous vehicles while also having the technical depth in field-proven robotic systems to be able to deep dive software or hardware with the team. Further this individual will have strong leadership abilities and communication skills to gather consensus amongst the relevant stakeholders across the company and communicate findings and recommendations to the executive team in order to drive key, high impact decisions within Argo AI’s fast-paced autonomous vehicle program.
What You’ll Do
- Direct a large engineering development and test operations team through first-launch and beyond.
- Guide the multi-disciplinary engineering teams to iteratively achieve the right design that is compatible with the product needs and program rollout schedule at an acceptable level of program risk.
- Bound scope of systems engineering to focus on large cross cutting objectives.
- Use a systems-level, data-driven approach to drive decision making.
- Maintain full context of system requirements, design and attributes at any given time.
- Operate as the ultimate requirements owner and system architect to a level of depth that is mutually understood between the systems and design teams.
- Direct a team to develop and apply models and tools at the level of fidelity and scope necessary to enable the organization to make effective decisions, quickly.
- Lead the integration of self-driving vehicle prototypes.
- Lead the development of the overall verification and validation plan for the system.
- Lead the test design, engineering, and execution
- Partner with test and simulation teams in the formulation of a plan that ensures verification coverage for the perception functionality of the self-driving system.
- Lead and communicate effectively to make recommendations and drive consensus amongst all stakeholders (executive team, product, customer, engineering, test).
What We’re Looking For
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field.
- 15+ years experience in robotics perception, autonomous vehicle, aerospace, automotive or related mission critical fields.
- Broad technical domain knowledge of autonomous vehicles or similar autonomous robotic systems.
- Deep knowledge on the workings of several state-of-the-art sensing technologies, specifically their strengths and limitations.
- Solid understanding of the mathematics, physics and other sciences pertinent to the application.
- Experience in seeing the full life cycle of a product from concept to validation to delivery and operation.
- Knowledge of modern systems engineering techniques, tools and processes.
- Strong communication skills and leadership abilities to work with cross-functional engineering teams and drive towards decisions.
- Experience managing very large engineering and test organizations.
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others across a broad range of disciplines.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
At Argo AI, You Can Expect Stellar Perks To Support Your Best Self
We know it takes competitive benefits to fuel a team that works hard and enjoys the challenge.
- High-quality individual and family health, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Free onsite or adjacent parking
- Commuter reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Professional development reimbursement