The Senior Data Engineer reports to the Manager of Data Architecture, within the Data Architecture and Engineering team. You will be responsible for architecting, designing, developing and operating high Performance Big Data pipelines focused on genomics and precision health. This role will be at the intersection of computer sciences and biology.
The role requires constant learning to remain up to date on the latest trends in the Big Data and Genomics world. You will contribute to the Data Architecture team’s efforts to develop cloud-based data infrastructure for data ingestion pipelines and analytics platforms to facilitate research activities and precision health initiatives and will help evolve our data infrastructure design to a next generation system that leverages Cloud and Big Data technologies.
You will work directly with a wide variety of stakeholders, including clinicians, researchers, and students that develop, support and promote the usage of UCLA Health Data assets (Data Lake, Data Warehouse and Data Marts).
- 7 or more years of software development experience with multiple programming languages, technologies, and frameworks
- Demonstrated experience on the data processing side of the software development cycle and deep understanding of choosing the right Data Structures and right Algorithms for data processing
- Hands on experience running bioinformatics pipelines on genomics and clinical data
- Good understanding of Genomics tools and technologies like PLINK, VCF, FASTA, GATK and GenomicsDB; exposure to different genomics datasets like WGS, WES, and RNASeq highly desired
- Familiarity with Software Development Life Cycle, software unit testing and version control (preferably Git)
- Hands-on experience designing and delivering solutions involving computationally intensive steps using technologies such as Hadoop-Map reduce, Spark or HPC
- Expertise and working knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems, command line tools and clusters
- Strong industry experience in programming languages such as Python, C# or Java, with the ability to pick up new languages and technologies quickly; understanding of cloud and distributed systems principles and experience with large-scale, big data methods
- Experience designing, developing and consuming performant REST APIs for data abstractions
- Experience working with Data Scientists, Researchers and DevOps engineers to build, deploy and operationalize code at scale
- Good understanding of Object oriented and Functional programming paradigms
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Life sciences or related field from an accredited college or university; Master’s Degree in Computational Biology, BioInformatics preferred
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.