Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc. (SPA) is a well-established and progressive defense contracting company in the Northern Virginia area just a few miles south of the Pentagon. We are a professional services firm established in 1972 that has a long-standing reputation for unrivaled technical and analytical support to some of the top decision makers in the Federal Sector. We do state of the art work and have a cadre of outstanding professionals on our team.
Veracity Forecasting Group (VFG), part of Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc., is dedicated to helping our clients make complex, fully informed decisions at the enterprise level. Central to Veracity’s continued success is its pairing of highly skilled technical staff with operationally informed and experienced subject matter experts. Our staff understands the math and statistics that summarize the data as well as the data’s purpose and context, enabling them to make actionable, prescriptive recommendations to the customer.
VFG/SPA has a near term need for a Master Data Scientist to support work at the Naval Aviation Warfighting Development Center (NAWDC, parent Command of TOPGUN). The position of Master Data Scientist at NAWDC is a unique opportunity to directly partner with experienced operators as they execute high-end Naval Aviation training and tactics development. The Master Data Scientist will reside in Fallon, NV, for approximately 2 years, working closely with operators, and then relocate as desired to take a leadership role within VFG. #IN123
Major responsibilities of the opportunity include the following:
- Analyzing the scientific and statistical validity of performance measures, inferences, conclusions, and solutions as the operators execute tactics developed in live and simulator environments.
- Assigning valid and sound confidence levels to these performance measures and providing quantitative confidence to their conclusions.
- Evaluating system, scenario, and event designs for scientific rigor and statistical validity of the approach.
- Assisting the Government in formulating procurement decisions.
- Master’s Degree or Ph.D. in Electrical/Electronic/Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Biology, Mathematics, or related hard sciences required.
- Three years of experience in a field requiring mastery of applied statistics or stochastic processes, ideally demonstrated by authorship of relevant technical reports, theses, or briefings.
- Strong analytic curiosity, attention to detail, and the ability to work closely with and develop strong relationships with the client.
- Ability to produce actionable results on tight timelines.
- Ability to work closely with and direct the work of experts in scientific programming and mathematical modeling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Active DoD Top Secret Clearance with ability to obtain/maintain SCI eligiblity.
- Department of Defense and/or Department of Navy experience
- Comfort with R, Python, or similar software that supports statistical computing