Company Type: Privately Held Size: 11-50 employees
As a core member of our engineering team, you’ll play an integral role in challenges such as:
* Inventing an interaction paradigm that applies the intuitive simplicity of word processing to audio and video production
* Pioneering use of Web technologies to deliver a high- performance professional creative tool that’s traditionally been the domain of native desktop applications
* Introducing real-time collaborative workflows to audio/video production, where individual projects can be in the tens or hundreds of gigabytes
* Applying machine learning and artificial intelligence concepts that are currently relegated to academic research departments to the editing and synthesis of audio and video
Descript is a twenty five person startup with a seven-person engineering team and a Research Team in Montreal. In this role, you’ll be responsible for architecting, developing, deploying, and scaling our mac/windows/web apps (React/Electron), REST APIs (node.js on Heroku), and data infrastructure (PostgreSQL). People who thrive here typically joined the company because they were looking for an environment where they:
* Have autonomy, and work in collaboration with the designer and CEO to influence the direction of the product and the company
* Are excited about the idea of helping to invent a tool that could become the new standard for audio / video production, used by millions of professionals and amateurs alike
* Go deep on myriad interesting technology problems
* Are surrounded by a team of talented and smart people
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Computer Science or can show a portfolio of personal/professional projects
- Strong knowledge and experience with data structures, algorithms, design patterns and computer science fundamentals
- Has architected, developed, deployed a REST API consumed by other users
- Fluent with deployment on Linux/Unix Systems (we are on Heroku and AWS)
- Has dealt with or deeply understands scaling strategies
- Experience working with SQL
- Strong team contributor, great communication skills, collaborative
- Driven, self-disciplined, responsible and organized. (ie. own a project from start to finish)
- Self-aware of capabilities yet seeking to constantly learn and improve
- Understanding of machine learning techniques is a plus, but not required
Descript is building the next generation platform for creative tools, making audio and video creation as fast, accessible, and collaborative as Google Docs. We are a team of 25 – predominantly engineers, product designers, and AI researchers – with a proven C.E.O. and the backing of some of the world’s greatest investors (Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures). Descript HQ is in San Francisco, and our A.I. research team, Lyrebird, is based in Montreal.
Descript is the special company that’s in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company. We rely on self starters who do their best work when given the freedom to translate the company’s high level goals into their day-to-day priorities.
- Benefits include equity, a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and unlimited vacation time.